Dawn Stacey is an associate professor in the School of Nursing and scientist at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute. In 2012, her ongoing outstanding research accomplishments were recognized when she was awarded the University Research Chair in Knowledge Translation to Patients. Professor Stacey is Director of the Patient Decision Aids Research Group at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, as well as a member of the Faculty of Graduate and Post-doctoral Studies at the University of Ottawa, academic appointee at the Ottawa Hospital, and a member of the Nursing Best Practice Research Centre. She won the 2009 Young Researcher Award for the Faculty of Health Sciences and the 2012 Canadian Association of Nurses in Oncology / Pfizer award of excellence in nursing research.
Professor Stacey’s research program is focused on advancing the science of knowledge translation to patients. The overall goal of her research is to understand, measure and evaluate the effectiveness of knowledge translation interventions for patients and evaluate strategies to enhance patient engagement in shared decision making.
Dawn Stacey lectures extensively both nationally and internationally on various aspects of knowledge translation, patient decision support, patient decision aids, decision coaching, interprofessional shared decision making, oncology nursing and telephone consultation. She teaches and supervises students in graduate programs in nursing, population health and clinical epidemiology. Professor Stacey also leads the Cochrane Review of Patient Decision Aids, is a co-investigator on the Cochrane Review of Interventions to Improve the Adoption of Shared Decision Making and co–chairs the International Patient Decision Aid Standards Collaboration (IPDAS). She conducts her research in Canada, the United States, Australia, the United Kingdom and Chile.
|2005||Ph.D.||Population Health||University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario|
|2000||M.Sc.N.||Nursing||University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario|
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
- Supporting patients’ decision making with decision support tools and nurse coaching
- Oncology nursing
- Nurse telephone consultation
- Knowledge translation and implementation of innovations in practice and organizations
Peer-reviewed publications (within the last 4 years)
- *Munce S, Cramm H… Stacey D, Brouwers M. (in press). Applying the Knowledge to Action Framework to plan a strategy for implementing breast cancer screening guidelines: An interprofessional perspective. Journal of Cancer Education.
- Legare F, Stacey D, Brière N, Puma C, Fraser K, Desroches S, Dumont S, Sales A, Aube D. (2013). Healthcare providers’ intentions to engage in an interprofessional approach to shared decision making in home care programs: A mixed methods study. Journal of Interprofessional Care. Early Online 1-9.
- *Bissonnette, J., Woodend, K., Davies, B., Stacey, D., Doucette, S., Knoll, G. (2013). Evaluation of a Collaborative Chronic care approach to improve outcomes in kidney transplant recipients. Clinical Transplantation. epub
- *Kryworuchko J, Hill E, Murray MA, Stacey D, Fergusson D. (2013). Systematic review: Effectiveness of interventions intended to improve the quality of end-of-life decision making in the Intensive Care Unit. Worldviews in Evidence-based Nursing. 10(1), 3-16.
- Adamo KB, Ferraro ZM, Goldfield G, Keely E, Stacey D, Hadjiyannakis S, Jean-Philippe S, Walker M, Barrowman NJ. (2013). The Maternal Obesity Management (MOM) Trial Protocol: A lifestyle intervention during pregnancy to minimize downstream obesity. Contemporary Clinical Trials.35(1), 87-96.
- Stacey, D., *Macartney, G., Carley M., Harrison, M.B., for the Pan-Canadian Oncology Symptom Triage and Remote Support Group (COSTaRS) (2013). Development and evaluation of evidence-informed clinical nursing protocols for remote assessment, triage and support of cancer treatment-induced symptoms. Nursing Research and Practice. Volume 2013, 1-11.
- *Schwalm JD, Stacey D, Pericak D, Natarajan M.K. (2012) Radial artery versus femoral artery access options in coronary angiogram procedures: Randomized controlled trial of a patient decision aid. Circulation. 5(3), 260-6.
- *Jull, J., Stacey, D., Giles, A., Boyer, Y., Troy, C. (2012) Shared decision-making and health for First Nations, Metis, and Inuit Women: A study protocol. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making. 12: 146.
- Stacey, D., Bakker, D., Ballantyne, B., Chapman, K., Cumminger, J., Green, E., Harrison, M., Howell, D., Kuziemsky, C., MacKenzie, T., Sabo, B., Skrutkowski, Syme, A., Whynot, A. (2012) Managing symptoms during cancer treatments: Evaluating the implementation of evidence-informed remote support protocols. Implementation Science, 7(1), 110.
- Legare F, Turcotte S, Robitaille H, Stewart M, Frosch D, Grimshaw J, Labrecque M, Ouimet M, Rousseau M, Stacey D, van der Weijden T, Elwyn G. (2012). Some, but Not All, Dyadic Measures in Shared Decision-Making Research Have Satisfactory Psychometric Properties. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 65(12): 1310-20.
- *Macartney G, Stacey D, Carley M, Harrison MB. (2012). Priorities, Barriers and Facilitators for Remote Support of Cancer Symptoms: A Survey of Canadian Oncology Nurses. Canadian Oncology Nursing Journal. 22(4), 235-240. Priorités, obstacles et facilitateurs concernant le traitement à distance des symptômes du cancer: enquête après des infirmières en oncologie du Canada. P 241-47
- Stacey D, Samant R, Pratt M, Legare F. (2012). Feasibility of training oncology residents in shared decision making: A pilot study. Journal of Cancer Education. 27(3):456-62.
- *Vandyk AD, Harrison MB, *Macartney G, Ross-White A. Stacey D. (2012). Emergency department visits for symptoms experienced by oncology patients: A systematic review. Supportive Care in Cancer. 20, 1589-1599.
- Stacey D, *Kryworuchko J, Bennett C, Murray MA, Mullan S, Legare F. (2012). Decision coaching to prepare patients for making health decisions: A systematic review of decision coaching in trials of patient decision aids. Medical Decision Making. 32(3), E22-33.
- *Klett MJ, Frankovich R, Dervin GF, Stacey D. (2012). Impact of a surgical screening clinic for patients with knee osteoarthritis: A descriptive study. Clin J Sport Med, 22: 274-277.
- Legare F, Politi MC, Drolet R, Desroches S, Stacey D, Bekker H, the SDM-CPD team. (2012). Training health professionals in shared decision-making: An international environmental scan. Patient Education Counsel. 88(2), 159-69.
- *Akbari A, Grimshaw J, Stacey D, Hogg W, Ramsay T, Cheng-Fitzpatrick M, Magner P, Bell R, Karpinski J. (2012). Change in appropriate referrals to nephrologists after the introduction of automatic reporting of the estimated glomerular filtration rate. CMAJ, 184(5), E269-276.
- Legare F, Turcotte S, Stacey D, Ratte S, Kryworuchko J, Graham ID. (2012). Patients’ perceptions of sharing in decisions: A systematic review of interventions to enhance shared decision making in routine clinical practice. The Patient: Patient-Centered Outcomes Research. 5(1): 1-19.
- *Kryworuchko J, Stacey D, Peterson WE, Heyland DK, Graham ID. (2012). A qualitative study of family involvement in decisions about life support in the intensive care unit. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. 29(1), 36-46
- Legare F, Stacey D, Gagnon S, *Dunn S, Pluye P, Frosch D, *Kryworuchko J, Elwyn G, Gagnon MP, Graham ID. (2011). Validating a conceptual model for an inter-professional approach to shared decision making: a mixed methods study. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice; 17(4), 554-564.
- Straus SE, Brouwers M, Johnson D, Lavis JN, Legare F, Sumit RM, McKibbon KA, Sales AE, Stacey D, Klein G, Grimshaw J, KT Canada STIHR. (2011) Core competencies in the science and practice of knowledge translation: Mandate for a Canadian strategic training initiative. Implementation Science. 6(1): 127 (highly accessed)
- Bhogal, SK, Murray MA, McLeod KM, Bergen A, Bath B, Menon A, Kho ME, Stacey D. (2011). Using problem-based case studies to learn about knowledge translation interventions: An inside perspective. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions. 31(4): 268-75.
- Tan J, Stacey D, Barankin B, Bissonnette R, Gulliver W, Lui H, Shear N. (2011). Support needed to involve psoriasis patients in treatment decisions: A survey of dermatologists. Journal of Cutaneous Medicine & Surgery. 15(4): 192-200.
- Stacey D, Bennett C. Barry M, Col N, Eden K, Holmes-Rovner M, Legare F, Lyddiatt A, Llewellyn-Thomas H, Thomson R. (2011) . Decision aids for people facing health treatment or screening decisions. Cochrane Library; Issue 10
- Legare F, Bekker H, Desroches S, Drolet R, Politi M, Stacey D, Borduas F, Cheater FM, Cornuz J, Coutu MF, Ferdjaoui-Moumjid N, Griffiths F, Harter M, Jacques A, Krones T, Labrecque M, Neely C, Rodriguez C, Sargeant J, Schuerman J, Sullivan M. (2011). How can continuing professional development better promote shared decision-making? Perspectives from an international collaboration. Implementation Science; 6:68.
- Sepucha K, Stacey D, Clay CF, Chang Y, Cosenza C, Dervin G, Dorrwachter J, Feibelmann S, Katz JN, Kearing SA, Malchau H, Taljaard M, Tomek I, Tugwell P, Levin CA. (2011). Decision Quality instrument for treatment of hip and knee osteoarthritis: A psychometric evaluation. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders; 12:149.
- Legare F, Stacey D, Forest PG, Coutu MF. (2011). Moving SDM forward in Canada: Milestones, public involvement and barriers that remain. Z Arztl Fortbild Qualitatssich, 105, 245-253.
- Bravo P, Cabieses B, Bustamante C, Campos S, Stacey D. (2011) Shared decision making in Chile: supportive policies and research initiatives. Z Arztl Fortbild Qualitatssich, 105, 254-58.
- *Pellerin MA, Elwyn G, Rousseau M, Stacey D, Robitaille H, Legare F. (2011). Toward shared decision making: Using the OPTION scale to analyze resident-patient consultations in family medicine. Academic Medicine; 86:1010-1018.
- Legare F, Shemilt M, Stacey D. (2011). Can shared decision making increase the uptake of evidence in clinical practice? Frontline Gastroenterology. 2: 176-181.
- Coutu MF, Legare F, Durand MJ, Corbiere M, Stacey D, Loisel P, Bainbridge L. (2011). Fostering shared decision making by occupational therapists and workers involved in accidents resulting in persistent musculoskeletal disorders: A study protocol. Implementation Science, 6(1):22 (highly accessed)
- Legare F, Stacey D, Pouliot S, Gauvin FP, *Desroches S, *Kryworuchko J, *Dunn S, Elwyn G, Frosch D, Gagnon MP, Harrison MB, Pluye P, Graham ID.(2011). Interprofessionalism and Shared Decision-Making in Primary Care: A Stepwise Approach towards a New Model. Journal of Interprofesional Care. 25(1): 18-25.
- Legare F, Stacey D, Briere N, Desroches S, Dumont S, Fraser K, Murray M, Sales A, Aube D. (2011). A conceptual framework for interprofessional shared decision making in home care: Protocol for a feasibility study. BMC Health Services Research 11(1):23.
- Tan J, Stacey D, Fung K, Barankin B, Bissonnette R, Gulliver W, Lui H, Shear N, Jackson C, Zhang X. (2010). Treatment decision needs of psoriasis patients: cross-sectional survey. J Cutan Med Surg, 14(5): 233-239.
- Legare F, Bekker H, Desroches S, Politi M, Stacey D, Borduas F, Cheater FM, Cornuz J, Coutu MF, Donner-Banzhoff N, Ferdjaoui-Moumjid N, Griffiths F, Harter M, Jackson C, Jacques A, Krones T, Labrecque M, Rodriguez R, Rousseau M, Sullivan M. (2010). Effective continuing professional development for translating shared decision making in primary care: A study protocol. Implementation Science, 5(83).
- Labrecque M, *Paunescu C, Plesu I, Stacey D, Legare F (2010) Evaluation of the effect of a patient decision aid about vasectomy on the decision-making process: A randomized trial. CONTRACEPTION. 82(6): 556-62.
- *Murray, MA, Stacey, D., Wilson, K., O’Connor, A. (2010). Skills training to support patients considering place of end-of-life care: A randomized control trial. Journal of Palliative Care. 26(2):112-121.
- Stacey D, Paquet L, Samant R. (2010) Exploring patients’ cancer treatment decision making: A descriptive study. Current Oncology. 17(4); 85-93.
- Legare F, *Ratte S, Stacey D, *Kryworuchko J, Gravel K, Graham ID, *Turcotte S. (2010) Interventions for improving the adoption of shared decision making by healthcare professionals. Cochrane Library; Issue 5.
- *Menard P, Stacey D, Woodend K, Legare F. (2010). Evaluation of a natural health product decision aid: A tool for middle aged women considering menopausal symptom relief. Maturitas. 65(4): 366-71.
- Stacey D, *Hopkins M, Adamo K, Shorr R, Prud’homme D. (2010). Knowledge Translation to fitness trainers: a systematic review. Implementation Science. April 15;5(1):28. (highly accessed)
- Brouwers M, Stacey D, O’Connor A. (2010). Knowledge creation: Synthesis, tools and products. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 182(2), E68-72.
- Stacey D, Legare F, Pouliot S, *Kryworuchko J, *Dunn S. (2010). Shared decision making models to inform an interprofessional perspective on decision making: A theory analysis. Patient Education and Counseling. 80; 164-172.
- Belcora J, Franklin L, O’Donnell S, Ohnemus J, Stacey D. (2009) Adaptation of consultation planning for native American and Latina women with breast cancer. Journal of Rural Health, 25(4), 384-387.
- Santesso N, Rader T, Wells GA, O’Connor AM, Brooks P, Driedger M, Gallois C, Kristjansson E, Lyddiatt A, O’Leary G, Prince M, Stacey D, Wale J, Welch V, Wilson AJ, Tugwell PS. (2009). Responsiveness of the Effective Consumer Scale (EC-17). Journal of Rheumatology, 36(9), 2087-2091.
- Li, L. C., Adam, P., Townsend, A. F., Stacey, D., Lacaille, D., Cox, S. et al. (2009). Improving healthcare consumer effectiveness: An Animated, Self-serve, Web-based Research Tool (ANSWER) for people with early rheumatoid arthritis. Study protocol. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, 9, 1-6.
- *Kryworuchko, J., Stacey, D., Bai, N., & Graham, I. D. (2009). Twelve years of clinical practice guideline development, dissemination and evaluation in Canada (1994 to 2005). Implementation Science, 4, 1-11.
- *Murray MA, Brunier G, Chung JO, Craig LA, Mills C, Thomas A, Stacey D. (2009). A systematic review of factors influencing decision-making in adults living with chronic kidney disease. Journal of Patient Education and Counseling, 76(2), 149-158.
- *Murray MA, Wilson K, *Kryworuchko J, Stacey D, O’Connor AM. (2009). Nurses’ perceptions of factors influencing patient decision support for place of care at the end-of-life. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 26(4), 254-263.
- Stacey D, Higuchi KS, *Menard P, Davies B, Graham ID, O’Connor AM. (2009) Integrating patient decision support in an undergraduate nursing curriculum: An implementation study. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 6(1), 1-18.
- Elwyn G, O’Connor A, Bennett C, Newcombe R, Durand M, Drake E, Joseph N, Khangura S, Politi M, Saarimaki A, Sivell S, Stiel M, Bernstein SJ, Col N, Coulter A, Eden K, Harter M, Holmes-Rovner M, Moumjid N, Perez LP, Stacey D, Thomson R, Whelan T, van der Weijden T, Edwards A. (2009). Assessing the quality of decision support technologies using the International Patient Decision Aid Standards instrument (IPDASi). PLoS ONE, 4(3), 1-9.
- Legare F, Steward M, Frosch D, Grimshaw J, Labrecque M, Magnan M, Ouimet M, Rousseau M, Stacey D, van der Weijden T, Elwyn G. (2009). EXACKTE2: Exploiting the clinical consultation as a knowledge transfer and exchange environment: A study protocol. Implementation Science, 4(14), 1-11.
- O’Connor AM, Bennett CL, Stacey D, Barry M, Col NF, Eden KB, Entwistle VA, Fiset V, Holmes-Rovner M, Khangura S, Llewellyn-Thomas H, Rovner D. (2009). Decision aids for people facing health treatment or screening decisions. Cochrane Library, Issue 3. (2009 Cochrane Review of the Year Award; 10th most cited Ccohrane Review in 2010)
Book chapters (within the last 4 years)
- Stacey D, & Hill S. (in press). Patient-direct and patient-mediated KT interventions (pp. 197-211). In S. Straus, J Tetroe, I Graham (eds.). Knowledge Translation in Health Care: Moving from Evidence to Practice. Blackwell Publishing.
- Brouwers, M., Stacey, D., & O'Connor, A. (in press). Knowledge translation tools: use of clinical practice guidelines and patient decision aids. In S. Straus, I. Graham, & J. Tetroe (Eds.), Knowledge Translation in Health Care: Moving from Evidence to Practice. Blackwell Publishing.
- Stacey D, Legare F. (2011). Decision Making – the patient perspective. In M. Ferguson (Ed). Difficult Decisions in Thoracic Surgery: An evidence-based approach (2nd ed.). London, UK: Springer-Verlag London Limited.
- Tucker T, Samant R, Stacey D. (2010). Shared decision making in medicine: Challenges and Opportunities (pp. 119-138). In R.V. Nata (Ed). Progress in Education, Volume 18. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers, ISBN: 978-1-60876-117-3
- *Tucker, T., Samant, R., & Stacey, D. (2009). Shared decision making in medicine: Challenges and Opportunities. In B. Kuzmanovic, A. Cuevas Recent Trends in Education. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers, Inc ISBN: 978-1-60741-795-8.
- Legare, F. & Stacey, D. (2009). Shared decision making: the implications for healthcare teams and practice (pp.23-28). In A. Edwards & G. Elwyn (Eds.), Shared decision making in health care: achieving evidence based patient choice (2nd ed.). Oxford University Press.
- Stacey, D., Bennett, C., Saarimaki, A., Khangura, S., Eden, K., & Col, N. (2009). How effective are patient decision aids? (pp. 201-7). In A. Edwards & G. Elwyn (Eds.), Shared decision making in health care: achieving evidence based patient choice (2nd ed.). Oxford University Press.
- Stacey, D., Legare, F., & *Kryworuchko, J. (2009). Evidence-based healthcare decision making: Roles for health professionals (pp.29-35). In A. Edwards & G. Elwyn (Eds.), Evidence-based shared decision making in healthcare: Achieving evidence based patient choice (2nd ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Brouwers, M., Stacey, D., & O'Connor, A. (2009). Knowledge translation tools: use of clinical practice guidelines and patient decision aids (pp. 35-45). In S. Straus, I. Graham, & J. Tetroe (Eds.), Knowledge Translation in Health Care: Moving from Evidence to Practice. Blackwell Publishing.
This website serves to disseminate the group’s research activities. In 2012, more than 71,000 visitors made over 216,000 visits to the website, generating more than 746,000 page views and more than 198,000 downloads.* The University of Ottawa does not sponsor, endorse, review or monitor the contents of the personal webpages of its faculty, students or staff.