- Supporting patients’ decision making with decision support tools and nurse coaching
- Oncology nursing
- Nurse telephone consultation
- Knowledge translation and implementation of innovations in practice and organizations
Peer-reviewed publications (2008 – 2012)
- Forest PG, Coutu MF. (in press). Moving SDM forward in Canada: Milestones, public involvement and barriers that remain. Z Arztl Fortbild Qualitatssich
- Bravo P, Cabieses B, Bustamante C, Campos S, Stacey D. (in press) Shared decision making in Chile: supportive policies and research initiatives. Z Arztl Fortbild Qualitatssich
- Legare F, Turcotte S, Stacey D, Ratte S, Kryworuchko J, Graham ID. (in press). Patients’ perceptions of sharing in decisions: A systematic review of interventions to enhance shared decision making in routine clinical practice. The Patient: Patient-Centered Outcomes Research.
- *Pellerin MA, Elwyn G, Rousseau M, Stacey D, Robitaille H, Legare F. (in press). A way to go before sharing decisions: Using the OPTION scale to analyze 152 resident=patient dyads in family medicine. Academic Medicine.
- Legare F, Stacey D, Gagnon S, *Dunn S, Pluye P, Frosch D, *Kryworuchko J, Elwyn G, Gagnon MP, Graham ID. (epub). Validating a conceptual model for an inter-professional approach to shared decision making: a mixed methods study. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice.
- Coutu MF, Legare F, Durand MJ, Corbiere M, Stacey D, Loisel P, Bainbridge L. (2011). Fostering shared decision making by occupational therapists and workers involved in accidents resulting in persistent musculoskeletal disorders: A study protocol. Implementation Science, 6(1):22
- Legare F, Stacey D, Briere N, Desroches S, Dumont S, Fraser K, Murray M, Sales A, Aube D. (2011). A conceptual framework for interprofessional shared decision making in home care: Protocol for a feasibility study. BMC Health Services Research 11(1):23. (highly accessed)
- Tan J, Stacey D, Barankin B, Bissonnette R, Gulliver W, Lui H, Shear N. (in press). Support needed to involve psoriasis patients in treatment decisions: A survey of dermatologists. Journal of Cutaneous Medicine & Surgery.
- Tan J, Stacey D, Fung K, Barankin B, Bissonnette R, Gulliver W, Lui H, Shear N, Jackson C, Zhang X. (2010). Treatment decision needs of psoriasis patients: cross-sectional survey. J Cutan Med Surg, 14(5): 233-239.
- Legare F, Bekker H, Desroches S, Politi M, Stacey D, Borduas F, Cheater FM, Cornuz J, Coutu MF, Donner-Banzhoff N, Ferdjaoui-Moumjid N, Griffiths F, Harter M, Jackson C, Jacques A, Krones T, Labrecque M, Rodriguez R, Rousseau M, Sullivan M. (2010). Effective continuing professional development for translating shared decision making in primary care: A study protocol. Implementation Science, 5(83).
- Legare F, Stacey D, Pouliot S, Gauvin FP, *Desroches S, *Kryworuchko J, *Dunn S, Elwyn G, Frosch D, Gagnon MP, Harrison MB, Pluye P, Graham ID.(in press). Interprofessionalism and Shared Decision-Making in Primary Care: A Stepwise Approach towards a New Model. Journal of Interprofesional Care. 25(1): 18-25.
- Labrecque M, *Paunescu C, Plesu I, Stacey D, Legare F (2010) Evaluation of the effect of a patient decision aid about vasectomy on the decision-making process: A randomized trial. CONTRACEPTION. 82(6): 556-62.
- *Murray, MA, Stacey, D., Wilson, K., O’Connor, A. (2010). Skills training to support patients considering place of end-of-life care: A randomized control trial. Journal of Palliative Care. 26(2):112-121.
- Stacey D, Paquet L, Samant R. (2010) Exploring patients’ cancer treatment decision making: A descriptive study. Current Oncology. 17(4); 85-93.
- Legare F, Ratte S, Stacey D, Kryworuchko J, Gravel K, Graham ID, Turcotte S. (2010) Interventions for improving the adoption of shared decision making by healthcare professionals. Cochrane Library; Issue 5.
- Menard P, Stacey D, Woodend K, Legare F. (2010). Evaluation of a natural health product decision aid: A tool for middle aged women considering menopausal symptom relief. Maturitas. 65(4): 366-71.
- Stacey D, Hopkins M, Adamo K, Shorr R, Prud’homme D. (2010). Knowledge Translation to fitness trainers: a systematic review. Implementation Science. Apri 15;5(1):28. (highly accessed)
- Brouwers M, Stacey D, O’Connor A. (2010). Knowledge creation: Synthesis, tools and products. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 182(2), E68-72.
- Stacey D, Legare F, Pouliot S, Kryworuchko J, Dunn S. (2009). Shared decision making models to inform an interprofessional perspective on decision making: A theory analysis. Patient Education and Counseling. Epub ahead of print available.
- Belcora J, Franklin L, O’Donnell S, Ohnemus J, Stacey D. (2009) Adaptation of consultation planning for native American and Latina women with breast cancer. Journal of Rural Health, 25(4), 384-387.
- Santesso N, Rader T, Wells GA, O’Connor AM, Brooks P, Driedger M, Gallois C, Kristjansson E, Lyddiatt A, O’Leary G, Prince M, Stacey D, Wale J, Welch V, Wilson AJ, Tugwell PS. (2009). Responsiveness of the Effective Consumer Scale (EC-17). Journal of Rheumatology, 36(9), 2087-2091.
- Murray MA, Wilson K, Kryworuchko J, Stacey D, O’Connor AM. (2009). Nurses’ perceptions of factors influencing patient decision support for place of care at the end-of-life. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 26(4), 254-263.
- Murray MA, Brunier G, Chung JO, Craig LA, Mills C, Thomas A, Stacey D. (2009). A systematic review of factors influencing decision-making in adults living with chronic kidney disease. Journal of Patient Education and Counseling, 76(2), 149-158.
- Kryworuchko, J., Stacey, D., Bai, N., & Graham, I. D. (2009). Twelve years of clinical practice guideline development, dissemination and evaluation in Canada (1994 to 2005). Implementation Science, 4, 1-11.
- Stacey D, Higuchi KS, *Menard P, Davies B, Graham ID, O’Connor AM. (2009) Integrating patient decision support in an undergraduate nursing curriculum: An implementation study. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 6(1), 1-18.
- Elwyn G, O’Connor A, Bennett C, Newcombe R, Durand M, Drake E, Joseph N, Khangura S, Politi M, Saarimaki A, Sivell S, Stiel M, Bernstein SJ, Col N, Coulter A, Eden K, Harter M, Holmes-Rovner M, Moumjid N, Perez LP, Stacey D, Thomson R, Whelan T, van der Weijden T, Edwards A. (2009). Assessing the quality of decision support technologies using the International Patient Decision Aid Standards instrument (IPDASi). PLoS ONE, 4(3), 1-9.
- Legare F, Steward M, Frosch D, Grimshaw J, Labrecque M, Magnan M, Ouimet M, Rousseau M, Stacey D, van der Weijden T, Elwyn G. (2009). EXACKTE2: Exploiting the clinical consultation as a knowledge transfer and exchange environment: A study protocol. Implementation Science, 4(14), 1-11.
- O’Connor AM, Bennett CL, Stacey D, Barry M, Col NF, Eden KB, Entwistle VA, Fiset V, Holmes-Rovner M, Khangura S, Llewellyn-Thomas H, Rovner D. (2009). Decision aids for people facing health treatment or screening decisions. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Issue 1.
- Stacey, D., Taljaard, M., Drake, E. R., & O'Connor, A. M. (2008). Audit and feedback using the brief Decision Support Analysis Tool (DSAT-10) to evaluate nurse-standardized patient encounters. Patient Education and Counseling, 73(3), 519-25.
- Khangura, S., Bennett, C., Stacey, D., & O'Connor, A. M. (2008) Personal stories in publicly available patient decision aids. Patient Education & Counseling, 73(3), 456-64.
- *Kryworuchko, J., Stacey, D., Bennett, C., & Graham, I. D. (2008). Appraisal of the primary outcome measures used in trials of patient decision support. Patient Education & Counseling, 73(3), 497-503.
- Stacey D, Chambers SK, Jacobsen MJ, Dunn J. (2008). Overcoming barriers to cancer helpline professionals providing decision support for callers: An implementation study. Oncology Nursing Forum, 35, 961-969.
- Stacey D, Samant R, Bennett C. (2008). Decision making in oncology: A review of patient decision aids to support patient participation. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 58: 293-304.
- Legare F, Dodin S, Stacey D, LeBlanc A, Tapp S. (2008) Patient decision aid on natural health products for menopausal symptoms: randomized controlled trial. Menopause International, 14, 105-110.
- *Murray, M. A., O’Connor, A., Stacey, D., & Wilson, K. G. (2008). Efficacy of a training intervention on the quality of practitioners’ decision support for patients deciding about place of care at the end of life: A randomized control trial: Study protocol. BMC Palliative Care, 7, 1-9.
- Stacey D, Hawker G, Dervin G, Tomek I, Cochran N, Tugwell P, O’Connor A. (2008). Improving shared decision making in osteoarthritis. British Medical Journal, 336, 954-5.
- Stacey D, *Menard P, Gaboury I, Jacobsen MJ, Sharif F, Ritchie L, Bunn H. (2008). Decision making needs of patients with depression: A descriptive study. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 15(4):287-295.
- Stacey D, *Murray MA, *Dunn S, *Menard P, O’Connor AM. (2008). Decision Coaching to Support Shared Decision Making: A framework, evidence, and implications for nursing practice, education, and policy. Worldviews in Evidence-based Nursing. 5(1): 25-35.
- O’Connor AM, Stacey D, Legare, F. (2008). Coaching to support patients in making decisions. BMJ, 336(7638), 228-9.
- Legare F, Elwyn G, Fishbein M, Fremont P, Frosch D, Kenny DA, Gagnon MP, Labrecque M, Stacey D, St. Jacques S, van der Weijden T. (2008). Translating shared decision-making into health care clinical practices: Proof of concepts. Implementation Science, 3:2.
- Legare F, Stacey D, Graham I, Elwyn G, Pluye P, Gagnon M, Frosch D, Harrison M, *Kryworuchko J, Pouliot S, *Desroches S. (2008). Advancing theories, models and measurement for an interprofessional approach to shared decision making in primary care: a study protocol. BMC Health Services Research, 8:2.
- Stacey D, Bakker D, Green E, Zanchetta M., Conlon M and Cancer Care Ontario Community of Practice Research Group. (2007). Ambulatory oncology nursing telephone services: A provincial survey. Canadian Oncology Nursing Journal, 17(4); 186 (e1-5). Les services de soin infirmières téléphoniques en oncologie ambulatoire : une enquête provinciale.
- Legare F, Stacey D, Dodin S, O’Connor A, Richer M, Griffiths F, LeBlanc A, Rousseau JLC, Tapp S. (2007). Women’s decision making about the use of natural health products at menopause: a needs assessment and patient decision aid. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 13(7), 741-749.
- O'Connor AM, Bennett C, Stacey D, Barry MJ, Col NF, Eden KB, et al. (2007). Do patient decision aids meet effectiveness criteria of the International Patient Decision Aid Standards collaboration? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Med Decis Making; 27(4), 554-574
- Legare F, Ratte S, Stacey D, *Kryworuchko J, Gravel K, Turcot L et al. (2007). Interventions for improving the adoption of shared decision making by healthcare professionals. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Issue 3.
- Legare F, Stacey D, Forest, PG. (2007) Shared decision making in Canada: update, challenges, and where next! German Journal for Evidence and Quality in Health Care. (Z Arztl Fortbild Qualitatssich), 101(4): 213-21.
Book chapters (2008 – 2011)
- Stacey D, Legare F. (2011). Decision Making – the patient perspective. In M. Ferguson (Ed). Difficult Decisions in Thoracic Surgery: An evidence-based approach (2nd ed.). London, UK: Springer-Verlag London Limited.
- Tucker T, Samant R, Stacey D. (2010). Shared decision making in medicine: Challenges and Opportunities (pp. 119-138). In R.V. Nata (Ed). Progress in Education, Volume 18. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers, ISBN: 978-1-60876-117-3.
- *Tucker, T., Samant, R., & Stacey, D. (in press). Shared decision making in medicine: Challenges and Opportunities. In B. Kuzmanovic, A. Cuevas Recent Trends in Education. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers, Inc ISBN: 978-1-60741-795-8.
- Legare, F. & Stacey, D. (2009). Shared decision making: the implications for healthcare teams and practice (pp.23-28). In A. Edwards & G. Elwyn (Eds.), Shared decision making in health care: achieving evidence based patient choice (2nd ed.). Oxford University Press.
- Stacey, D., Bennett, C., Saarimaki, A., Khangura, S., Eden, K., & Col, N. (2009). How effective are patient decision aids? (pp. 201-7). In A. Edwards & G. Elwyn (Eds.), Shared decision making in health care: achieving evidence based patient choice (2nd ed.). Oxford University Press.
- Stacey, D., Legare, F., & *Kryworuchko, J. (2009). Evidence-based healthcare decision making: Roles for health professionals (pp.29-35). In A. Edwards & G. Elwyn (Eds.), Evidence-based shared decision making in healthcare: Achieving evidence based patient choice (2nd ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Brouwers, M., Stacey, D., & O'Connor, A. (2009). Knowledge translation tools: use of clinical practice guidelines and patient decision aids (pp. 35-45). In S. Straus, I. Graham, & J. Tetroe (Eds.), Knowledge Translation in Health Care: Moving from Evidence to Practice. Blackwell Publishing.
- Stacey, D., Fiset, V., Ellis, J., & Fothergill-Bourbonnais, F. (2008). The Supportive Care Framework applied to curriculum development and delivery (pp.30-39). In M. Fitch, H. Porter, & B. Page (Eds.), Supportive Care Framework. Pembroke, Ontario: Pappin Communications.
- O’Connor AM, Legare F, Stacey D. (2007). How patients make decisions with their surgeons: The role of counseling and patient decision aids (pp. 44-58). In MK Ferguson (Ed.). Difficult Decisions in Thoracic Surgery: An evidence-based approach. London: Springer-Verlag.
This website serves to disseminate the group’s research activities. From April 2011 to March 2012, more than 81,000 visitors made over 197,000 visits to the website, generating more than 650,000 page views and more than 186,000 downloads.
* The University of Ottawa does not sponsor, endorse, review or monitor the contents of the personal webpages of its faculty, students or staff.